Monday, April 16, 2007

A day in Vienna

Written by JB Jr.

Not having traveled alone with my Dad for over 13 years, I didn't really have too many expectations of what it would be like. I think of myself to be the seasoned traveler as this is the 2nd year I have had off in 7 years and so consider it my job to look after the old man, as he is now into his 60's – roughing it, sleeping in hostels and eating cheap junk food isn't really his thing – thank goodness for that as I am a bit tired of that travel style too and I will have enough roughing it for the rest of the traveling this year.

We walked a lot yesterday and too my surprise, Dad was up and at it this morning and raring to get out of town to the Schloss Schonbrunn, one of the highlights of Vienna, this is the summer palace and hunting lodge of the Hapsburgs, who were the imperial family and was constructed for the Empress Maria Theresa. A stunning palace and formal gardens about a 20 minute Underground ride out in the suburbs.

Dad being an excellent photographer, this is a great opportunity for me to pick up some tips so that I can make use of the new camera I purchased in the US in January. I have already learnt the framing technique today and can see the benefit in some of the shots.


This is a 2 week trip and we don't want to peak too early so have limited ourselves to only one sightseeing trip today and a stroll through town as well as the mandatory coffee and Viennese cake stop. We have just spent £16 on two bits of cake and 4 Nescafes – a bit steep (no joking really the Cafe Diglas was fantastic, I recommend the Chocolate Banana cake – outstanding!)

I have realised that I know nothing really about Austria other than there is some good skiing, Mozart, some good looking horses and the Austro-Hungarian empire. It is a well-off country but I have no idea why, what are its main exports? Wikipedia here I come!

Tomorrow we leave for Budapest in the morning on the “Avala” train, only a 3 or so hour trip.

Pic: Its a good job the minature railway wasn't running!

Lots of photos available here

No comments:

Post a Comment